Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A few of our favorite things for momma

A few of our favorite things for momma

Since I shared a blog about some favorite things for baby it is only fitting that I make one for momma as well! These items are just a few of the things that have made a big difference for me in my first couple of months postpartum. Like I said with the baby favorites, this list could go on and on. But these are 8 items that I have found to be particularly useful in my first 7 weeks as a momma. 

1. Starbucks tumbler or any other cute tumbler. I recommended this during pregnancy as well to encourage plenty of water consumption. If you plan on breastfeeding you'll want to be especially mindful to consume enough water everyday! Having a tumbler that you like will make drinking water a little more fun. 

2. Button-front pajamas. Trust me, these will making nursing at night a thousand times easier! Especially in those first few weeks when you don't want to worry about troublesome little clips or attempting to hold your shirt up when you're half asleep. I have three sets right now- long sleeve and pants, short sleeve and capris, and nightgown style. I love them. In fact, I'm always on the lookout for more. Also, I'd recommend going with something lightweight cotton. All the hormones after birth make you a lot more likely to sweat. 

3. Avent Thermopads. At first I didn't really want to spend the money on these... but I am SO glad that I did! They can be used warm (by soaking them in hot water) or cold (by storing them in the fridge). I've had issues with clogged ducts and these suckers feel incredible when they're nice and warm. Plus, they can encourage letdown (when warm) and help with soreness as well (warm or cold). You're probably thinking what I was- "why buy these when a plain old washcloth can do the same thing?" Well, these hold their temperature longer than a washcloth would and they're contoured for your breasts. They're definitely great to have!

4. Vita Coco coconut water. I drank this stuff everyday for my entire first month postpartum. The potassium and electrolytes are great for hydration and health. Personally, I like the kind with pineapple because it tastes like a pina colada but wayyy better for you, haha. I'm not recommending these as a meal replacement but I would drink them everyday to boost my hydration level. And they're a nice change of pace from regular water. 

5. Alba Botanica 3-in-1 Pineapple Towelettes. I heart these. A lot. I'm a stickler for washing my face twice a day but with a newborn I found that getting to sleep as soon as baby was asleep became top priority. These towelettes are a makeup remover, cleanser, and toner all in one. Hello timesaver! Plus, they smell amazing and are gentle enough on finicky postpartum skin that you don't have to follow them up with a moisturizer (I know, I know, moisturizing is important but believe me, it doesn't seem that crucial when you're sleep deprived). I kept these by my bedside for speedy face cleaning before I crawled into bed.

6. Coconut oil. I had a lactation consultant recommend using coconut oil on sore nipples instead of lanolin. Reason being that coconut oil is natural and less likely to cause any allergic reactions or adverse effects on momma and baby. I'm all about doing things as naturally as possible when it comes to mine and Camden's health so I was all over this advice. And it worked like a charm! Coconut oil is much cheaper than lanolin, too. Plus it has like a million uses so any leftovers will not go to waste!

7. Half caff K cups. I made the switch to decaf when I found out I was pregnant but once Camden arrived I needed a little jolt to help me get going in the morning. Enter the joys of half caff. I get the boost I need without consuming much caffeine. It's a win-win. These things have become my new morning BFF. 

8. Boppy pillow. I love my Boppy pillow! Breastfeeding is a lot of work. Forget killing your arms/back/shoulders holding baby with no support! Just stick a Boppy pillow around your waist, rest your arms on it, and breath a sigh of relief while baby nurses comfortably in your arms without making your entire upper body sore. And if you happen to fall asleep in your glider while baby nurses (*cough*not like I've ever done that*cough*) baby is nestled safely. Or at least how I used the Boppy Camden was safe from falling incase I did fall asleep. Plus, you can use the Boppy for tummy time and to position baby on his or her back in a slightly upright position if they're having some spit up issues or if you just want to chat with them during alert time. It's multifunctional. I covered mine with a waterproof cover for protection and a dinosaur/stripes slipcover for the cute factor.

So there it is! That completes my favorite things for baby and momma for our first two months. I'll probably make new lists of favorites as Camden continues to grow and develop. I might even go back and make a list of my favorite things during pregnancy and/or for the hospital. We'll see how ambitious I am with these favorites posts. I hope you've enjoyed the first two! And I hope some of my momma-to-be friends find this useful! :] 

No comments:

Post a Comment